miércoles, 28 de julio de 2010

Welcome to Tucson, AZ




So... it was July 27th when we had our first step in Tucson, Arizona. A 100º temperature welcomed us surrounded with cactus and mountains such as Katalina or Rincon Mountains.


The trip was quite nice, 1 hour flying and 2 hours driving... we arrived to Rincon High school and everything started.




Since now on, the show will be practically different.... new songs, different order and even dancers. The staff members are no longer on stage with us, which means that the next song will be our first full cast show ever, I am really looking foward to it!




Here is where we are staying the longest... 3 weeks to be exactly. During the first week we were all focused, obviously, in the reunion, which was incredibely excellent. There were over 1000 people sharing one single thing: Up With People.
The fact of being on stage with the audience singing along not only made me feel part of the UWP legacy, but also filled me with the famous UWP pride that every alumni has.




The city is quite nice, the people are kind (I think that's because of t weather, usually people in warm climates are more friendly than those in cold climates, just a theory tho!) We're surrounded by a desert which makes my US idea completely different. The last american city I went to was New York, so imagine! Instead of skyscrapers there are cactus! It's really cool!




My host family is amazing, I live with my hostmom, hostdad and a 17 year old host brother. They are really generous people and know how to spoil us lol. My goal for this week is to try to understand the "American Mexican" context which is really important in Arizona. It's been always a hard topic for me since I believe in the mexican sovereignity and somehow I feel indignated when they talk about a "shared culture". In spite of it, I am sure there are many new things I have to learn.




All in all, I think my experience in Arizona will be a perfect beginning to be on the road. The weather is acceptable, people are great and I find mexican candies, which is amazing. So I will try to keep you posted of anything, I will that handling a blog, journal, facebook and twitter at the same time might be difficult, but I will try to keep you guys posted of what we do.


I won't leave before attaching this beautiful picture of Tucson! :)






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario